Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Day 1 of Slice of Life

March 1, 2015

Ok, I have challenged my students to share their life snippets and now feel that I must SOAR (Scholars of Academic Rigor) with them.


Today we have eight inches of fresh, powdery snow. It is beautiful! Our miniature black poodle, Bear, cavorts joyfully across the backyard. My cousin's big truck drives along the drive crunching and smushing the piles of snow so that I can get out for school tomorrow. Bear runs along the fence barking as if to encourage another snow lover to play. He bursts through his doggy door covered in chunks of snow clinging to his fur including a fluffy, white beard of snow. His happy face invites me to join in the fun, too. Now I have a day of anticipation. Will it be a Monday delay or Snow Day...Fun Day?

No matter how many snows I've experienced, and there have been many, the first day of new snow is a treasure. Robert Frost's poem is always in my mind at first look...
"...The only other sound’s the sweep  
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."




4 comments:

  1. It is so challenging and gratifying to slice along with your students. Congrats and keep it up. I love the description of your dog in the snow, especially the line, "Bear runs along the fence barking as if to encourage another snow lover to play." Bringing in the Frost poem at the end was a lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Max! My students will be proud of me when I show them your comment. D :)

      Delete
  2. Like yours, my Standard black poodle Leo is a snow lover. His owner however, prefers sitting on the sofa by the fire with the mini poodle, Ralph. You make a snowy day sound fun enough to tempt me to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bear's owner sat by the fire most all day. The fun snow day was observed, no participation. ;) It has been a pretty day to observe. Thanks for commenting. D :)

      Delete