Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015

Day 16 SOL - Field Trip Day....Telling Tales about Tails

Today was our 4th grade field trip for AG Day in central IN as we study IN history this year. I believe that most states have such a program to study state history when students are in 4th grade. The day was gorgeous for a field trip day (no rain) and our highest temp day of 2015. Perfect! We arrived early and were put into groups with a FFA rep from a county high school. These young people were dressed nice with their FFA corduroy jackets and dress pants for the boys and skirts for the girls. In fact, the girls were wearing dark hose (not tights!) and dress shoes: heels. Impressive to know that these kids and their sponsors know to dress for success. 

Not to say anything unkind about any of our students but splitting into four groups from each of our three classrooms and then combining those groups into new groups that contain the 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s is a feat of problem-solving matched by few other world negotiating experiences. Looking for peace among the masses without combining volatile faction groups. You all know what I mean about how important and strategic this process is combined with the fact that one of the teachers came in and left because of flooding issues in her basement. Now we have two classroom teachers, one student teacher, and two parents for the four groups. 

It actually wasn't too bad except for the ones that answered questions with anything to make someone else laugh (remember the volatile factions). Such as "What products come from cows?" Student: "Strawberries!" The highlight of any 4th graders trip to AG Day is the amount of "poop" and "pee" that they can scream, giggle, and point at coming from any animal on the grounds. One student actually commented to me in passing, "Watch out for the pooping, peeing, and the baby was even nursing from its mom." Tells me that these are not farm kids. That's why we go.

P.S. Did you know that one of the byproducts from cows is collagen and that is what they make glue and duct tape with? Hmmm...Isn't that what we all hear about in make-up for anti-aging expensive creams? Duct tape would be a lot less expensive and it comes in cool colors now. I'm off to purchase some DT for a new headband! I'm sure it would lift and hold and be way less expensive than a face lift. ;)

4 comments:

  1. As a Midwestern Farm Girl, I smiled at this story. It's amazing to me how in one generation, this has changed so much! (I sound like an old lady...sorry!) I took kiddos to an apple farm this fall, and had to identify animals for them. Of course I did, but I was shocked! That is why we will keep going. Please pass the duct tape. I'll use it under my eyes. ;) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know about the duct tape. ;) Thanks for the comment "Farm Girl."
      D :)

      Delete
  2. I love taking my students on field trips because I feel like sometimes they don't get to experience certain things in their life. That would certainly be one place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising how many kids are really deficient in life experiences that could easily be expected that they would have. Wish they all could have country kids experiences! Thanks for the comment, Erin! D :)

      Delete