Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 22 SOL - Pet Therapy

Pets are a wonderful addition to a family as they have unconditional love for each. Pets don't care what we look like or even if we smell good or bad (possibly they prefer a nice stink). We have had many pets and dogs of our own including some grandpets we've inherited. Presently we have Bear only, a mini black poodle that was a gift for my 85 yo mother that didn't work out so well for her. She had always wanted a little black poodle, but Dad would never agree to letting her have one. He preferred German Shepherds, manly dogs, the family dog of choice, since he was an Indiana State Policeman. We had some wonderful GSs that we shed tears over their loss to this day. Back to Bear, he was just too much energy for them. Plus, he was a puppy. Cutest puppy ever, but still a puppy! 



Because we already had a dog, Jimmy, we were now a two dog household and Jimmy did NOT want a baby brother. Eventually, happy-go-lucky, bite his ear as he passed by, Bear became Jimmy's target for extreme jealousy and bullying. Jimmy was constantly in a "GRRR" state. I kept a blue plastic bat nearby to bonk them as they were in a fight or on the verge of a fight at all times. (Don't judge, I didn't bonk them too hard.) Bear was passive aggressive and too playful for Jimmy. There came the day that alpha male Jimmy had to submit to baby brother, Bear. This only fueled his"GRRR." His disgrace led to depression. Jimmy was a depressed and angry dog.


Eventually our aging "Jimmy" (Jack Russell/poodle mix - jack-a-poo) moved in with my parents. He has been a godsend. They love him and he is happy, happy, happy! He is the best, gentle companion. Never ever does he "GRRR!" Jimmy is the epitome of the lapdog. He is my mother's shadow. Waits at the door to have his feet wiped after being outside. My mother is very clean. His manners are impeccable. He sits at their feet at the table never barking or begging for food, yet his eye and flared ears say, "Please." He is the best "dust buster" there is for food crumbs! No one can play ball like Jimmy. He's the Pele` of soccer dogs. He can even bounce the ball on his nose, possible part seal. He will play fetch with my dad and tosses the tennis ball up on his lap so my dad doesn't have to bend over to pick it up. He does shed (remember my mother is Mrs. Clean) but he does bring her his own brush to be groomed. He likes to be clean, too. 

Insurance companies ask if you have a pet as they know pet owners live longer and healthier lives. 

Here's to pets! 

D :)

14 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for making what had to be a hard decision and sending Jimmy to live with your mom. Sounds like the perfect match! Pets are perfect at enriching our lives. I used to to pet therapy with a few of my dogs, visiting hospitals and nursing homes. Rewarding but difficult work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a hard decision as I see Jimmy all the time. They live within walking distance. :) Love to know you actually did pet therapy. D :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh..makes me miss my pooch. I didn't know that fact about insurance companies either...if I could only convince Dave. xo nanc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this info will help convince Dave. Hoping for a new dog in your future. Thanks for commenting! D :)

      Delete
  3. We have a yorki-poo or as my son like to say a porky - she brings so much to our family and we can't imagine not having her. Happy Jimmy sounds a lot like our darling Sadie. I'm so glad you were able to share Jimmy with your parents an elegant solution for all. Loyalty, fun, and love should be shared, and that's what the right dog with the right family can bring to a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! A perfect match. I love hearing their cute Jimmy stories. Thanks for commenting. D :)

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that about insurance companies. Cool!! I love that both of the dogs found their perfect homes. I miss my dog Leo so much!!! He died last year. Happy to say that my new dog Bella is wonderful and so sweet! I can't imagine NOT having a dog. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a granddog named Leo. Thanks for commenting. D :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you did the right thing, and Jimmy is much happier. Bear is one cute little guy though. We don't have dogs...but we like them...can get our dog fixes visiting friends. We do have two cats...just adopted them...and what joy they have brought us. We had lost our 22 year old kitty last year and did not know if we would get anymore...but...well, we now have Molly and Ary. I did not know that about insurance companies...but I have heard that about pet owners living longer. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitties can be much easier unless you have a doggie door! SO great and now I can say that a dog is easier...no litter box to clean. :) Glad you have some new furry children. Thanks for commenting. D :)

      Delete
  6. Your little poodle looks like my Schnoodle, Charlie. I agree that pets improve our lives. I'm so glad the story had a happy ending. And your parents got the pet they needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie...cute name. I love a pet with a people name. Bear was originally Sammee, then Sammee Bear, then Teddy Bear, mostly Bear Baby now. When his curls get long and all fluffy, he looks like a Teddy Bear. Poodle mixes are good with most breeds. Sometimes the mixed breed becomes nonshedding. Not so with our Jimmy. Lots of shedding hair! Thanks for the comment. D :)

      Delete
  7. Your little poodle looks like my Schnoodle, Charlie. I agree that pets improve our lives. I'm so glad the story had a happy ending. And your parents got the pet they needed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I also did not know that about insurance companies, I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete