Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day 24 SOL - Portland, Here I Come!

This afternoon at 6:20 p.m., I will officially embark on my Spring Break vacation to Portland, OR. My daughter and grandson recently moved there, and it will be my first visit. I am wondering what their home will look like/feel like, the walking on sidewalks to lots of easy destinations as they are now city slickers, and just being with them in a new area of the country. What about the sites nearby? Will it feel like a vacation of sightseeing, too?

My children and grandchildren live far away from their midwest Mommy/Nanna and Daddy/Papaw. Vacations are planned around family. They come home twice a year, and we go "there" twice a year. "There" has been changing lots the past few years. New opportunities. New horizons. This is all exciting, however, lots of events happen to the grandchildren in schools and sports that we have to "attend" through pictures and videos. Not the same.


I'll be sure to check out the wall hanging at the Portland Airport's Concourse D that features the Portlanders favorite airport carpet. Did you hear about the hype of removing the carpet in January? People were laying on the floor to make selfies and some had the "Atari" design tattooed on their body. Who knew carpet could cause such nostalgia?



 Reunions are always fun and special, so I'm sure this one will be, too. I plan to be careful in how much I expect. I will live in the moment and accept the days as they unfold. I won't let the expectations of how perfect this vacation must be. We are NOT a perfect bunch, just a family that loves each other. You'll be hearing about Portland in my Slices, starting on Wednesday.

Happy Tuesday!
D :)



10 comments:

  1. You will love Portland! Be sure to visit Powell Books and Multnomah Falls, and eat at the Oyster Bar is it is still there. I lived in Portland for several years, and I walked on that airport carpet many times. I live in Indianapolis now and teach in IPS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on the southside of Indy. Looking forward to the trip and will check out all of the above. Sitting at the airport right now. Happy Spring Break! D :)

      Delete
  2. What a happy post, looking forward to time spent with family! Enjoy your visit to Portland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! So glad to be here today. D :)

      Delete
  3. I am born and raised in Portland, Oregon so I had to post a comment! Please visit Powell's City of Books, Podnah's Pit, Kennedy School McMenamins (food, drinks, and cheap movies set in an old school), and see the cherry blossoms on the waterfront. Enjoy! Looking forward to your upcoming slices!

    -Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/2015/03/24/getting-excited-about-poetry-sol24/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I will check with the family about these spots. They are new here, too, so they will be places for us to visit together. My grandson mentioned Powell's. He said I would really like that bookstore! Still waking up this morning. LONG flight, but I'm here!
      D :)

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your spring break and trip to see your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Day 1 is about to begin! D :)

      Delete
  5. I lived in Portland for six years. My senior year of college it rained on the first day and was still raining on graduation day. While I was completely saturated (ha!) when I left, I also appreciated the beauty and charm of Portland. I heard about the airport carpet-love and wasn't surprised at all. That is so Portland. Have an elephant ear at Saturday market--I liked the ones with cinnamon sugar or jam. But most of all, enjoy the time loving on your family...rain or shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids are all raving about their smooth skin and healed cracked hands. Winter weather is tough on skin in CO or IN. Looking forward to exploring today. I've heard there are lots of yummy places to eat and one is a French pastry and sandwich place just down the street. They are downtown living at the present. D :)

      Delete