Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 30 SOL - Punch Bowl Falls & Bridge of the Gods (Wild by Cheryl Strayed)

Hiking to Punch Bowl Falls in Cascade, Oregon was nature's beauty at its finest. With each turn of the trail, the hike up to the falls was beautiful scenic view after view. The trail was just right, not too challenging but just right in fitness requirements and a taste of excitement as you walked on a narrow trail behind waterfalls with a steel rope to hang onto. Loved those moments of thrill that never felt unsafe. The trail is 3 miles in and 3 miles out. I felt fit as a fiddle both ways. 

My granddaughter made the picture below. Once arriving you cannot see the actual falls unless you hike into the freezing waters and peek around the cliff on the right. The sound is so powerful. So peaceful.  "More than the sounds of many waters, Than the mighty breakers of the sea, The LORD on high is mighty." Psalm 93:4. It truly was a spiritual experience.



My daughter and I - Punch Bowl Falls. 3.29.15

When it was time to start back, I went ahead of my young, fast walkers as it was steep terrain hiking up from the falls to the main trail. Once I was started down, I really enjoyed walking alone to enjoy God's beauty and the peacefulness of the trail. The fauna along the trail included ferns, moss, and greenery of every hue. I imagined Cheryl Strayed on the PCT, Pacific Crest Trail, from the book and movie, Wild. It has been my spring break read as there is much of the book around Portland, Oregon. I love finding a book that has its setting in the locale I am visiting. When we left the falls we had to drive north a bit on the Interstate, get off at the nearest exit, then head back south. Just before we made our loop was a sign for "The Bridge of the Gods." That is the culmination of Cheryl's trip on the PCT. I was so excited to see it! There is an Indian legend around this site. 

This day was a true treat. 

D :)



7 comments:

  1. Lucky you, sounds like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt very lucky and grateful all day. Family and this beautiful hike and falls. D :)

      Delete
  2. You walked on a narrow trail behind waterfalls,
    ideas dripping and dropping from
    some unknown source
    above you,
    unseen but certainly heard,
    a roar of convergence falling,
    and in a moment of reflection,
    you close your eyes to listen and feel
    the stories unfolding.

    --Kevin, lifting lines to make poems as comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, Thank you for this beautiful poem. So glad to have it as part of my writing. Do you might if I edit my post, include it, and give you credit. It really is beautiful. D :)

      Delete
    2. Of course. Use it as you want. It's yours, a gift of words.
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. You are making me want to go to Oregon! I never knew there were so many beautiful places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Erin! Oregon is a beautiful state. The whole northwest is so different than any other part of the country. It's healthy living out here with large organic farms and so many opportunities for outdoors recreation. D :)

    ReplyDelete