Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Day 4 SOL - "cheerful, positive,and quirky teacher"

I had an email last night from the parent of a former student. This student is now in 7th grade. I had her in 2nd grade, so 5 years ago. This student was so delightful. She made up words that I've since added to my own vocabulary. One of her best was "speckless." Leaving an elementary classroom, or any grade, clean at the end of the day is always a challenge. My closing comments on many days is to leave our room speckless!

The best part of this email was the parent included an excerpt from a recent autobiography written by her daughter. She had written that "Mrs. B was my cheerful, positive,and quirky 2nd grade teacher." What a wonderful way to be remembered. I am grateful for this line from her writing as I strive to be cheerful and positive every day for my students, my friends, and my family. Many of our students come from less than positive environments, let alone cheerful. I pray daily to "shine" for Jesus to my students, staff, family, and all I encounter.

Quirky...kinda like to be known as quirky, too. Not weird...I'm quirky. Not strange...I'm quirky.

Here is part of her essay, " I loved Mrs.B because she discovered a talent within me, a voice I never knew I had.  She made me explore the possibilities of writing and imagination because, it seems like one sparks the other.  If I didn’t have her then, this wouldn’t be as it is. That year, I also developed a habit.  A good one, not a bad one." So many things to rejoice about in this quote. So many things all teachers strive to develop in their students. This email and this autobiography exemplifies why I teach. It also reminds me to reach out and encourage others about their impact on my life.

I challenge all of us to be encouragers and to share a story with your "impactor"...not a new word, but maybe a new definition.

D :)

4 comments:

  1. I love that you had such an impact on one of your students! It feels so good to find out all your hard work has made an impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I printed her work to keep. I have her little brother this year in my high ability math class. He's the strong, silent type. Thanks for the comment! D :)

      Delete
  2. Bravo! Cherish the words of children who fill your bucket with joy! Continue to impact others too. This post warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MaryHelen, for your kind words. They do keep "my bucket filled with joy"! I love the way you said that. I'm heading to your blog right now. Happy Friday!
      D :)

      Delete