Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Day 5 SOL - Grateful for What I Have

Continuing on with my gratefulness theme...

Today my husband returned home after a long trip in the northwest to stay with our grandson while our daughter was at a conference. He was grateful for the very nice weather he encountered out west (daffodils and tulips blooming everywhere!), and I'm just grateful that he agreed to come home to more cold and snow. He considered staying out there until spring...warm spring weather. I surprised him with a warm, roaring fire in our wood burning stove and a big pot of chili. So cozy in here right now. Our little dog is all snuggled up on his lap. He missed his "Papaw" so much. He barked, cried,  and licked him for about 30 minutes. I might want to clarify my pronouns in the previous sentence. The "he" is our black, mini poodle, Bear, and the "him" is my husband.

I had a high school English teacher that put a daily quote on the board. I've always loved quotes since then. I still remember it. "Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have." That quote was a big deal to me. An impact on my life kind of quote. It's easy to get caught up with the "woulda, coulda, shouldas" of life and not being present for the now. Not being grateful for the now with its imperfections leads to a lifetime of waiting to be happy and grateful . I choose to be grateful now.

I'm grateful for family, friends, my school and staff, and my students. I'm grateful for the effort my students are showing to complete their ISTEP assessments. This week the Classroom Slice of Life has brought a warm, friendly light into our lives. They are so excited about writing their daily Classroom Slice of Life and sharing their comments with each other. Many are keeping a list of topics for future slices and writing down their favorite and most helpful comments.

So tonight I am grateful for my husband sleeping in his recliner with our happy, little dog sleeping across his lap. I'm grateful for opportunities to share thoughts and stories with a global audience, and for my 4th grade students to experience this with me. 

Sign me,
Just Grateful

 

,

11 comments:

  1. I love your quote and I needed it to start my day today! I'm glad I stumbled upon your writing b/c today I will remember that I have wonderful people, memories and "things" in my life in which to be grateful for. Thank you for your grateful reflection this morning. On a side note, as a mom to current 4th graders, I can't help but think about how lucky your students are to have a teacher who shares this type of positive spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reading Mom. I am grateful for moms that read. :) Being grateful is a great way to start and end a day. D :)

      Delete
  2. I love your quote and I needed it to start my day today! I'm glad I stumbled upon your writing b/c today I will remember that I have wonderful people, memories and "things" in my life in which to be grateful for. Thank you for your grateful reflection this morning. On a side note, as a mom to current 4th graders, I can't help but think about how lucky your students are to have a teacher who shares this type of positive spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love that quote and I love the idea of sharing a quote with your students everyday and living by that quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Do you know about the Quote Garden? http://www.quotegarden.com/ It's a good place to grab a goo quote. D :)

      Delete
  4. We spend so much time reaching for what we don't have that we forget to be grateful for what's right in front of us. In these last years of my teaching career, I'm taking more time savoring special moments w/ students; I'm so grateful for them and for so much more. Thanks for sharing your gratefulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda! I'm nearing the end of my teaching career, too. Slowing down and savoring special moments would be good for all of us. So much pressure on everyone. I do think a positive, grateful attitude does keep us focused on the most important priorities. D :)

      Delete
  5. Grateful you are sharing positive thoughts during a not-so-fun time of the year. I love that your class is inspired to write. A gift you are giving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gratefulness begets gratefulness (Cool word.."begets"!). I love reading their thoughts and watching them grow as writers. The comments from the Classroom Slice of Life is really challenging them to improve as they get comments. Fun!
      Thanks, MaryHelen!
      D :)

      Delete
  6. I love this quote. It's how I try to live my life. I'll be just as grateful when my husband returns tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homecoming are wonderful! Almost worth the time apart. Enjoy your homecoming weekend. D :)

      Delete