Summer Book Study Blog

Summer Book Study Blog

Friday, March 6, 2015

Day 6 SOL - It's Friday! Let's Celebrate with Popcorn!

This week we have been testing...high stakes testing: ISTEP. Today is Friday and we have just one short test to take, and then we are having popcorn! Is there anything that sets the tastebuds salivating like a Pavlov dog than popcorn? When anyone at school pops, everyone is asking where is the popcorn? Why do they get a party? Do we?

Today we are celebrating the end of our testing week (the rest of ISTEP is the end of April) with popcorn. The celebratory popcorn party. There will even by m&ms to pour into the popcorn bowl. Peanut m&ms are my favorite except with popcorn, plain only, please. We will watch a movie, too. I found the animated "Secret Garden" on Youtube in its entirety. This was also our anchor text in the 4th grade High Ability program for 9 of my students, so it's also academic, right? :)

Popcorn. Is there anything that perks everyone up more than popcorn? Even my dogs love popcorn. They are so excited when it's popcorn night. We have a "Jimmy" and we call him "Jimmy Popcorn" instead of "Jimmy Crack Corn." He will jump, hop, and chase across the room popped kernel by kernel. It's great activity for bad weather and a dog that needs some exercise. I have an OLD air popper that pops the best corn. Salt won't stick unless I drizzle with olive oil or butter. I prefer the olive oil. I also have a wondrous recipe for peanut butter popcorn. YUM!

So, I am grateful for celebrations. We all need more celebrations and popcorn is cheap and easy. Hope you find a reason to pop some corn this weekend. It's an American tradition! Start poppin'!

Happy Friday!
D :)

12 comments:

  1. You know, I don't eat nearly enough popcorn. I used to eat it with hot sauce on it. I used to eat it with soy sauce on it. I'm going to go get a popper this weekend. Thank you for this reminder. Popcorn is a celebration indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile. Sounds like all the ways to eat "Green Eggs and Ham." :)
      I love an air popper because I put olive oil on mine. I don't like the seasonings and oils in the microwave popcorns. Happy Popping! D :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness - now I want some popcorn! You're so right that popcorn makes everybody happy! I had a neighbor once that made a popcorn recipe with white chocolate and peanuts. Oh my. Your students are going to LOVE you! It sounds like a lovely Friday, and they deserve with all that stress of testing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a happy day for sure! I know the recipe you are talking about. YUM! D :)

      Delete
  3. And when you make the popcorn in your classroom, everyone that walks in the hallway follows their nose to your room and wants to know why your class is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second graders came in to read us their latest publications and it was hard on them. We were in the midst of our party. I told them their teacher would have a party soon. ;)

      Delete
  4. This perked me up so much! I love popcorn too and fresh popped is the best! I think I'll have some this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Popping! It's good fiber, too. ;) D :)

      Delete
  5. I just bought popcorn last night. Definitely a tasty treat. I am glad you are celebrating with you kids for succeeding through the test. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ALL deserved a party! They were troopers. I was "poppin'" with pride at their perseverance to do their best. D :)

      Delete
  6. Yes, let's celebrate! The first week of ISTEP is history! And popcorn with some M&Ms is perfect!

    ReplyDelete